‘kay, had three weeks of anxiety attacks, two not so bad, one just AWFUL. I’m running behind where I was going to be. Wish I had more to say, but I don’t.
Usually, the revision process is incredibly satisfying for me; to paraphrase Michelangelo’s reputed saying, all the material’s present, I just have to chisel away the unneeded bits. This time, though, the revision process is like pulling teeth with a pair of pliers; there’s just so many scenes and plotlines that I love, but since I don’t want to confuse the issue too much, I’m trying to simplify it a bit. To make it worse, I’m planning on taking the series in a new direction with my next attempt, so I can’t even save the good scenes that don’t fit into Memorythief for the next book.
Maybe I should learn to let stuff go, but if I could do that, I wouldn’t have become an author and artist in the first place.
On a somehow-related topic (at least in my brain it is), here’s the rough version I did for Yggdrasil, the Tree that holds the worlds in Norse myth, with a human character for scale. Amazingly, I got the scale right the first time I tried, instead of having to do three or four renders to tweak it.
Can’t believe I forgot to ask for this in the books OR on here, but if you read my book, PLEASE rate it on goodreads! I can’t BELIEVE it’s taken me this long to address such a cheap and easy means of advertising!
I got one of these as a christmas gift, and I’ve already used up half the pad. For anyone that gets some of their best ideas in the shower, as I do!
Between crazyarse weather, too many fun ideas for render software and trying to collate and make sense of three months worth of notes scribbled on scraps of paper and stuffed into my pockets, I haven’t gotten any writing done in 2 weeks. Perhaps I should get some done on these two days off in a row I’ve lucked into.
I’m still upright, and I’m chipping away at my next opus, as long as I can stop myself from playing with rendering software
Between learning to use 3d render software and making covers and new interior character illustrations for Firethief, correcting some conversion errors on Smashwords for Horsethief and Dreamthief, I’ve been busting hump behind the keyboard lately.
There have been some great results, though.
– I LOVE the new Firethief cover, Prometheus came out really close to the image I’ve had in my head for a couple of years now, which was the hardest bit to accomplish. The illustrations I did for Gaia and Tiamat came out eerily good as well, particularly since I didn’t have to do the kind of grunt work I did for the cover.
– I’ve re-released Firethief on Amazon and Smashwords, with only very minor editorial tweaks in addition to the new artwork.
– Horsethief has been re-released on Smashwords after I corrected the conversion errors, and I’ve already started planning on what illustrations I want to do for it
– Dreamthief has been corrected for the same conversion error, and is available on Smashwords, since Amazon won’t let me set the price at $0.00 and I refuse to put it out for 99 cents for a week or so and then change it to nothing, it’s just a principle thing.
As a special teaser, here’s one of the illustrations I’ve done, aside from the cover the most complicated of them: