Okay, technically since it’s still September, I’m ahead of my own promise with this, and that’s AWESOME! I’ve redone the cover and interior art for book one The Firethief, and it’s now available on Amazon. Still working on the art for book two, and book three is now in editing, so I’m making progress!
Okay, I remember I said I was 3/4 of the way through the next manuscript, but unfortunately as I progressed further and further, I realized that I was writing myself into a corner, so I’ve had to make some significant changes and additions to book 4, AKA Memorythief, so I can move the story along and be able to tell other stories in the future. In short, I’m writing the Ragnarok, and using that to reshape the world to something more in line with my original intent for this series, in addition to redoing the interior art for the first two books and their covers. Like someone once said, no artistic project is ever completed, just abandoned. I’m hoping to have the much-longer manuscript finished by the end of September, just in time to coincide with the re-re-release of books one and two with the new art in the first part of October. In the meantime, here’s a couple of pieces of the new art, just as a teaser:
Between learning to use 3d render software and making covers and new interior character illustrations for Firethief, correcting some conversion errors on Smashwords for Horsethief and Dreamthief, I’ve been busting hump behind the keyboard lately.
There have been some great results, though.
– I LOVE the new Firethief cover, Prometheus came out really close to the image I’ve had in my head for a couple of years now, which was the hardest bit to accomplish. The illustrations I did for Gaia and Tiamat came out eerily good as well, particularly since I didn’t have to do the kind of grunt work I did for the cover.
– I’ve re-released Firethief on Amazon and Smashwords, with only very minor editorial tweaks in addition to the new artwork.
– Horsethief has been re-released on Smashwords after I corrected the conversion errors, and I’ve already started planning on what illustrations I want to do for it
– Dreamthief has been corrected for the same conversion error, and is available on Smashwords, since Amazon won’t let me set the price at $0.00 and I refuse to put it out for 99 cents for a week or so and then change it to nothing, it’s just a principle thing.
As a special teaser, here’s one of the illustrations I’ve done, aside from the cover the most complicated of them:
This is the cover for the new edition of Firethief, which I had to go back and revise because I found out I made ONE spelling error. I’m just anal-retentive like that.
For the curious, the guy holding a burning orb and covered in gold circuitry is Prometheus the Firethief, the guy holding his head and surrounded by water is Rhymer, Drakine Archivist and my protagonist. This is a dramatic revision of the scene where the two “meet” for the first time.
I’ve vented on here lately about playing with 3d rendering software, and I’ve finally got something besides the cover for book three to show for all the effort; With no further ado, here’s the character sketch I’ve done for Chrysaor the Golden, the Defender, Arch-Reeve, Demigod, and brother to Pegasus the winged horse. If I can keep making decent models, I’m thinking about doing illustrated editions of my stuff. Any opinions?
So, the day after I get my mind in a good space for finishing Horsethief, work slaps me with a six day work week. When I get the next week’s schedule, the six day week turns into a ten day week. On top of that, my mom’s not only recently bereaved, she also broke her kneecap, severely limiting her mobility, so I have to carry the lion’s share of the housework, pet care, food prep, etcetera, etcetera. I can’t speak for anyone else, but trying to shift into and out of creative mode while doing all this REALLY slows down my pace. Life is laughing at me, I think. Then again, I’m on the Karma-in-advance payment plan, so I must have something INCREDIBLE coming my way.
I’ve finally finished book two, titled The Horsethief, and it’ll be off to the editor as soon as he finishes teaching for the semester. After a few edits and changes, I’ll be publishing it early 2014, and needless to say, it’s dedicated to my stepfather, the ‘Zoomie’-est man I’ve ever known.
I’ve been stuck on the last chapter of Horsethief for three weeks now, I just couldn’t get it to come out satisfactorily. I spent a few days going through the older drafts, notes, and ideas I’d had well before I started Firethief, and I ran across a fragment that let me tie the whole thing together. If I was still stuck at handwritten manuscripts (ugh, HARDCOPY), I’d still be trying to decipher scribbles from a few years ago.
I hadn’t realized it consciously till now, but the Unbinder Recursion series follows the plot points for a ‘Heist’; Thief, Target, Loot, and Twist. Just to make it more interesting, whichever Muse occupies my brain and leaves me ideas mixed it together with the Hero’s Journey to the Underworld (Thanks, Joseph Campbell).
Well, I always wanted to write an Urban Fantasy that didn’t have the protagonist go all ‘Kill it with Fire!’ or have absolutely NO people skills, and I’ve hit close to the mark, I hope.
BTW, if anyone really wants to know, I’ve changed the tentative title of book three from Dragonthief to Memorythief; when I was in the shower a couple weeks ago, I had an entire (and better!) plot spring into my head, and it works waaaay better than what I’d already planned.