Okay, I remember I said I was 3/4 of the way through the next manuscript, but unfortunately as I progressed further and further, I realized that I was writing myself into a corner, so I’ve had to make some significant changes and additions to book 4, AKA Memorythief, so I can move the story along and be able to tell other stories in the future. In short, I’m writing the Ragnarok, and using that to reshape the world to something more in line with my original intent for this series, in addition to redoing the interior art for the first two books and their covers. Like someone once said, no artistic project is ever completed, just abandoned. I’m hoping to have the much-longer manuscript finished by the end of September, just in time to coincide with the re-re-release of books one and two with the new art in the first part of October. In the meantime, here’s a couple of pieces of the new art, just as a teaser:
Only very occasionally, when the stars are in the right positions, you can create a piece of art that is even better than the picture of it you have in your mind. I’ve had one of those with an interior illustration I’ve done for the enhanced version of Horsethief. This particular piece is of Brigid, DeDaanan Elemental Lord of Fire. I’ve had a picture of her in my head since I worked her into said book, but when I made a 3d model of her, the pieces I slapped together have given me something I like even better than my own imagination, which is rare. And here she is!
Between learning to use 3d render software and making covers and new interior character illustrations for Firethief, correcting some conversion errors on Smashwords for Horsethief and Dreamthief, I’ve been busting hump behind the keyboard lately.
There have been some great results, though.
– I LOVE the new Firethief cover, Prometheus came out really close to the image I’ve had in my head for a couple of years now, which was the hardest bit to accomplish. The illustrations I did for Gaia and Tiamat came out eerily good as well, particularly since I didn’t have to do the kind of grunt work I did for the cover.
– I’ve re-released Firethief on Amazon and Smashwords, with only very minor editorial tweaks in addition to the new artwork.
– Horsethief has been re-released on Smashwords after I corrected the conversion errors, and I’ve already started planning on what illustrations I want to do for it
– Dreamthief has been corrected for the same conversion error, and is available on Smashwords, since Amazon won’t let me set the price at $0.00 and I refuse to put it out for 99 cents for a week or so and then change it to nothing, it’s just a principle thing.
As a special teaser, here’s one of the illustrations I’ve done, aside from the cover the most complicated of them:
I’ve vented on here lately about playing with 3d rendering software, and I’ve finally got something besides the cover for book three to show for all the effort; With no further ado, here’s the character sketch I’ve done for Chrysaor the Golden, the Defender, Arch-Reeve, Demigod, and brother to Pegasus the winged horse. If I can keep making decent models, I’m thinking about doing illustrated editions of my stuff. Any opinions?
I hadn’t realized it consciously till now, but the Unbinder Recursion series follows the plot points for a ‘Heist’; Thief, Target, Loot, and Twist. Just to make it more interesting, whichever Muse occupies my brain and leaves me ideas mixed it together with the Hero’s Journey to the Underworld (Thanks, Joseph Campbell).
Well, I always wanted to write an Urban Fantasy that didn’t have the protagonist go all ‘Kill it with Fire!’ or have absolutely NO people skills, and I’ve hit close to the mark, I hope.
BTW, if anyone really wants to know, I’ve changed the tentative title of book three from Dragonthief to Memorythief; when I was in the shower a couple weeks ago, I had an entire (and better!) plot spring into my head, and it works waaaay better than what I’d already planned.
I keep stumbling over the beginning of the latest draft, and not-so-coincidentally, I think I’ve found a great way to get past that annoying “I haven’t accomplished squat” feeling I get when I’m trying to start writing; update the dictionary! My books all have one, since I don’t expect everyone to have the same knowledge base I do, and there’s enough stuff and people involved in my stories that it helps me (and anyone reading it) to keep stuff straight. Updating the dictionary, taking out old references and slapping in temporary entries for stuff I want to work in gives that sense of accomplishment, and it doesn’t take longer than two or three hours!
I’ve gotten started on the first draft of book three, tentatively titled Dragonthief. The hardest part of getting started is deciding which of the three thousand ideas in my head is worth starting with, and which one can lead into some of the others. I’m also reminded of something I read in Tom Deitz’s Soulsmith ( a series I highly recommend, by the way). Paraphrased, it goes ‘You’re lucky if whatever thing you make bears more than the most fleeting, shadowy glimpse of the idea of the thing that lives in your mind’. For me, that’s certainly a true saying. Hells, it took me more than six revision cycles to get Firethief into a shape suitable for publishing.